Gov. Roy Cooper Confirms 81 Still Missing in North Carolina, Warns of Ongoing Threats

Gov. Roy Cooper Confirms 81 Still Missing in North Carolina, Warns of Ongoing Threats
Image By: USA Today

Governor Roy Cooper of North Carolina announced Tuesday afternoon that 81 persons are still unaccounted for in the state’s western region following Hurricane Helene.

Cooper warned that the figure would change during a press conference earlier in the day, but he said a task force has been established to locate the 92 individuals who were missing in Western North Carolina. On a tour of Swannanoa at 3:30 p.m., Cooper would change that number to 81.

“The task force, law enforcement and other partners will continue working to locate those who are unaccounted for and I am thankful for their efforts,” Cooper stated.

According to Cooper, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has received 77,000 applications for relief, and the agency has already paid $99 million and is funding 1,900 people’s temporary lodging.

Cooper discusses false information and recovery-threatening threats. Cooper also discussed the ongoing disinformation operations and the latest domestic threats to recovery initiatives.

“If you’re participating in spreading (misinformation), stop it,” Cooper stated. “Whatever your aim is, the people you are really hurting is the people in Western North Carolina who need help.”

Cooper further claimed that the Republican nominee for governor, Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson, is complicit in the dissemination of false information.

Read Also: Tragic Update: NC Department of Health Increases Count of Helene-Related Deaths

“Candidates (referring to Robinson) are using people’s misery to sow chaos for their own political objectives, and it’s wrong,” Cooper stated. “It’s disappointing when candidates, knowing full well what they are doing, are continuing this kind of disinformation filled with lies.”

Cooper said that after receiving threats against FEMA’s work, he ordered the North Carolina Department of Public Safety to increase protection for the agency.

USA Today: Gov. Roy Cooper says 81 people still missing in North Carolina, addresses threats

profile
With more than two years of expertise in news and analysis, Eileen Stewart is a seasoned reporter. Eileen is a respected voice in this field, well-known for her sharp reporting and insightful analysis. Her writing covers a wide range of subjects, from politics to culture and more.