Stepson Arrested for Fatally Beating Stepmother in North Miami Beach

Stepson Arrested for Fatally Beating Stepmother in North Miami Beach

NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — A man has been charged with second-degree murder after allegedly beating his stepmother to death.

On June 11, officers from the North Miami Beach Police Department (NMBPD) responded to a death investigation at an apartment located at 3725 NE 169 Street.

Upon arrival at 9:11 p.m., the officers spoke with the victim’s husband, who informed them that he had discovered his wife, 64-year-old Connie Cuesta, lying face down and unresponsive in the master bedroom. Medical personnel from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue arrived shortly after and pronounced the victim dead at 9:21 p.m.

According to a neighbor residing next door, he had heard banging and shouting coming from the victim’s apartment between 10 a.m. and early evening. Concerned about the noise, he approached the victim’s spouse and then called 911.

During the investigation at the scene, the police encountered the victim’s stepson, 36-year-old Sean Michael Cuesta. When questioned by the police the next day, it was observed that Cuesta had visible scratches on his arm and a laceration on his forehead.

As per the arrest affidavit, Cuesta stated to the investigators that he had been alone with his stepmother in the apartment throughout the day, except for a two-hour period when he went out to get dinner.

However, further investigation revealed that a verbal argument between Cuesta and his stepmother had escalated into a physical altercation. Cuesta allegedly threw objects around the apartment and then struck his stepmother’s head multiple times with empty wine bottles.

Police determined that the beating ultimately led to Connie Cuesta’s death. The subsequent autopsy revealed that she died from internal bleeding caused by severe trauma, which lacerated her internal organs.

The arrest report also indicated that Sean Cuesta had stabbed the victim four times in the left temple. The knife used in the attack was found in Cuesta’s backpack.

After the assault, Cuesta allegedly attempted to clean up the blood with a towel before showering, changing his clothes, and leaving the apartment.

Prior to the recovery of the evidence, Cuesta had gone to his aunt’s residence in Hialeah. However, his behavior became concerning, prompting his family to contact the police. Upon the arrival of the officers, Cuesta was taken into custody under the Baker Act Statute.

On June 16, the police interviewed Cuesta’s aunt, who stated that she had received two missed calls from her nephew on June 12. In a subsequent call, Cuesta reportedly confessed to his aunt, saying, “Meme, I killed my mother.”

On June 29, Cuesta was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. He is currently in custody.

Avatar photo
Happy Purwal is a news writer with one year of experience. He is skilled in researching and writing engaging news articles. His expertise includes covering current events, politics, and human interest stories. He is passionate about delivering accurate and unbiased news to his readers.