Most Poorest Neighborhoods in Lake Charles

Discover the 5 Most Poorest Neighborhoods in Lake Charles, Louisiana

The city of Lake Charles is located in southwest Louisiana, and it is well-known for the water-related activities, industrial sector, and historic districts that it possesses. Nevertheless, the standard of living and level of economic success do not exist in every part of the city.

The poverty rate of Lake Charles, as reported by the United States Census Bureau in the year 2020, was 21.4%, which was much higher than both the state average of 19.6% and the national average of 12.8%. According to the statistics provided by City Data, this article will take a look at the five areas of Lake Charles that are considered to have the lowest median household incomes.

Goosport

This area is in the northwest of the city, near the Calcasieu River. The average household income here is $19,687, which is less than half of the city’s average of $44,785. Most of the people living here are Black or African American (86.7%), and many of them rent their homes (68.9%). This neighborhood also has more crime and fewer people with high levels of education.

Read More: Discover the 5 Poorest Neighborhoods in Union County, New Jersey

North Lake Charles

This area is in the northern part of the city, close to Interstate 10. The average household income here is $20,833, which is less than half of what the city typically makes. Most people living here are Black or African American (75.4%), and many of them rent their homes (66.1%). Additionally, this neighborhood faces high unemployment and has houses with lower values.

Read More: Discover the 5 Most Safest Neighborhoods in Bethel Census Area, Alaska

University Place

This area is in the southeast part of the city, close to McNeese State University. The average household income here is $22,500, which is roughly half of the city’s average. Most people living here are White (58.7%), and many are either students or young professionals. A lot of the homes in this neighborhood are rented (82.9%), with relatively few people owning their homes (17.1%).

Read More: Discover the 5 Most Poorest Neighborhoods in Shreveport, Louisiana

Downtown

This place is in the southeastern part of the city, near McNeese State University. The typical household income is around $22,500, which is about half of the city’s average. Most residents here are White (58.7%) and many are either students or young professionals. A majority of the houses in this area are rented (82.9%), with a smaller percentage of people owning their homes (17.1%).

Read More: Discover the 5 Most Safest Neighborhoods in Kennebec County, Maine

Charpentier Historic District

This area is in the southern part of the city, close to the Civic Center. The average household income here is around $25,000, which is about 56% of what the city makes on average. Most people who live here are White (63%), and many reside in old homes built in the late 1800s and early 1900s. About half the people rent their homes (48%), while the other half own them (52%).

Read More: Discover the 5 Most Underrated Neighborhoods in Lee County, Alabama

Conclusion

According to the most recent data that is available, the following five neighborhoods in Lake Charles, Louisiana, are the city’s poorest. In spite of the fact that these regions may struggle with issues such as poor income, high levels of poverty, high levels of crime, low education levels, and low house prices, they nevertheless have their own distinctive qualities and cultures, which contribute to Lake Charles’s rich diversity.

profile
With more than two years of expertise in news and analysis, Eileen Stewart is a seasoned reporter. Eileen is a respected voice in this field, well-known for her sharp reporting and insightful analysis. Her writing covers a wide range of subjects, from politics to culture and more.