Wyoming is known for being one of the least densely populated and most tranquil states in the United States, boasting a low crime rate and a high standard of living. Nevertheless, not all cities in the Cowboy State share the same level of safety and tranquility.
Based on the most recent data from the FBI, one city stands out as the most perilous and crime-ridden in Wyoming: Cheyenne.
Cheyenne’s Crime Statistics
Cheyenne, Wyoming, serves as the state’s capital and is its most populous city, boasting around 64,000 residents. Unfortunately, it also holds the dubious distinction of having the highest incidence of serious crimes, including murders, rapes, robberies, and aggravated assaults, within the state, as per the FBI’s 2020 Uniform Crime Report.
In 2020, Cheyenne reported 7 murders, 81 rapes, 83 robberies, and 326 aggravated assaults, totaling 497 violent crimes. This equates to a violent crime rate of 775.8 per 100,000 individuals, over three times higher than the state average of 234 per 100,000.
Moreover, Cheyenne had the highest murder rate in Wyoming, standing at 10.9 per 100,000 people, in contrast to the state average of 3.1 per 100,000.
Regrettably, Cheyenne has witnessed a notable increase in its crime rate in recent years, marked by a surge in gang-related activities, drug trafficking, and incidents of domestic violence.
Between 2015 and 2020, the number of murders in Cheyenne saw an uptick from 1 to 7, rapes increased from 55 to 81, robberies surged from 46 to 83, and aggravated assaults rose from 216 to 326.
The city’s violent crime rate spiked from 431.9 per 100,000 individuals in 2015 to 775.8 per 100,000 in 2020, reflecting a rise of nearly 80%.
Cheyenne’s Crime Prevention Efforts
Cheyenne’s law enforcement and community leaders are making concerted efforts to address the escalating crime issue and ensure the safety of the city’s residents and visitors. They have implemented or planned several initiatives and programs, including:
- Boosting the number of police officers and detectives, along with providing them with additional training and equipment.
- Establishing a dedicated unit to focus on gang and drug investigations, while collaborating with federal and state agencies to target high-level offenders.
- Enhancing the utilization of technology and data analysis to pinpoint crime patterns and hotspots, and allocating resources accordingly.
- Expanding community policing and problem-solving strategies, while fostering trust and partnerships with local organizations and citizens.
- Developing and supporting prevention and intervention programs for at-risk youth and families, such as mentoring, counseling, education, and employment opportunities.
- Increasing public awareness and education regarding crime prevention and reporting, and encouraging community involvement and participation.
Cheyenne possesses a wealth of historical and cultural significance, a flourishing economy, and a thriving tourism sector, all complemented by a diverse and welcoming community. Nevertheless, the city confronts substantial challenges and security concerns. Despite these obstacles, Cheyenne remains resolute.
The city endeavors to surmount its hardships and enhance its circumstances. It aspires to restore its standing as a secure and tranquil place for residents, employees, and visitors alike. Cheyenne strives to lower its crime rates and assert itself as the true capital of Wyoming in more than just title.